Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ad of loathing!

So, for this blog (which is also late *shame shame*), I must analyze an advertisement.  I have chosen to analyze the same ad that I am writing a paper about for this unit: The Yes on Proposition 8 ad, which incidentally, fills me with disgust and anger.  So this is going to be a hard essay/blog to write.

I should probably say whether I think the ad was effective.  To be honest, I don't know how it could have been, being as filled with double think and hypocrisy as it is, but Proposition 8 passed, to my dismay, so obviously those crazy Mormons throwing their life savings at it did something right.

The forum is California television, and youtube to an extent, but since only California residents could vote on it, it only really applies to California television.

My problem with the ad, beyond the fact that I disagree vehemently with everyone in it, is that it is filled with hypocrisy.  Wanting to "protect the institution of marriage" merits some hate of gays, or at least signifies alot of heterosexism, in that you are "protecting" it from gays.  So when the first man in the commercial says this isn't about hating gays or the "lifestyle," he is being ignorant of what his actions show.

All of the ad is grossly biased towards the conservative right, which makes me wonder how the hell it worked in what is considered one of the more progressive states in the country.  When the blond kid, who ironically seems pretty gay to me, says things like "people on both sides agree that Jesus set the ultimate example for love," he is not taking other viewpoints into account.  No, we don't all agree on that.  Those kind of assumptions are understandable, from a conservative right viewpoint, but they are simply wrong.

More to come on this later, because I'm too angry to write more about it right now. Later, internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment